Woman loses arms and legs to pet-dog infection

An American woman had her arms and legs amputated after contracting a rare disease when an open cut was licked by her dog.

Marie Trainer complained of backache and nausea after returning from the Dominican Republic. At first, doctors believed she had contracted a tropical disease. But after tests they diagnosed she had contracted a rare infection from the bacteria capnocytophaga canimorsus, passed on in her German Shepherd’s saliva.

Extreme reaction to a pet’s saliva is rare, affecting one in a million people.

Grahame White